Understanding calpol overdose symptoms

Calpol, a brand name for the over-the-counter medication containing acetaminophen, is commonly used to relieve pain and reduce fever. While it is generally considered safe when used as directed, an overdose of Calpol can have serious consequences. In this article, we will explore the symptoms and potential risks associated with a Calpol overdose, as well as what to do if you suspect someone has taken too much of this medication.

Calpol: a brief overview

Calpol, also known as acetaminophen or paracetamol, is a widely used pain reliever and fever reducer. It is available in various forms, including liquid suspensions, tablets, and capsules. It is often used to alleviate discomfort caused by headaches, muscle aches, toothaches, and the common cold.

When taken as directed, Calpol is generally safe and effective. However, exceeding the recommended dosage can lead to overdose, which can be dangerous and even life-threatening.

Calpol overdose symptoms

Recognizing the symptoms of a Calpol overdose is crucial for seeking prompt medical attention. The severity of symptoms can vary depending on the amount of acetaminophen ingested, but common signs of overdose may include:

  • Abdominal pain or discomfort
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Excessive sweating
  • Confusion or altered mental state
  • Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness or coma

If you or someone you know is experiencing these symptoms and there is a suspicion of Calpol overdose, seek immediate medical attention. Delayed treatment can lead to severe liver damage, which may be irreversible.

Risks of calpol overdose

Calpol overdose primarily affects the liver. When the liver metabolizes excess acetaminophen, it produces a toxic substance that can cause significant damage to liver cells. In mild cases, this damage may be reversible with prompt medical intervention. However, severe overdoses can result in acute liver failure, which can be fatal.

It’s important to note that the risk of overdose is higher when individuals:

  • Exceed the recommended dosage
  • Take multiple acetaminophen-containing products simultaneously
  • Consume alcohol while taking Calpol
  • Have preexisting liver conditions

People with preexisting liver conditions, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis, should exercise extra caution when using Calpol and consult their healthcare provider before taking the medication.

What to do if you suspect calpol overdose

If you suspect that someone has taken an overdose of Calpol or shows symptoms of acetaminophen toxicity, take the following steps immediately:

  1. Call emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
  2. Provide as much information as possible about the amount of Calpol ingested and when it was taken.
  3. Do not try to induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by medical professionals.
  4. Do not administer any home remedies or medications without medical guidance.
  5. If possible, bring the Calpol packaging or bottle to the hospital to assist healthcare providers in determining the exact dosage and formulation.

Frequently asked questions

What is the recommended dosage of calpol for adults?

The recommended dosage of Calpol for adults is typically 500 mg to 1000 mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed, with a maximum of 4000 mg in 24 hours. However, it’s essential to follow the dosing instructions on the product packaging or as prescribed by a healthcare provider.

Can calpol overdose be treated?

Yes, Calpol overdose can be treated, especially if detected early. Treatment often involves administering a medication called N-acetylcysteine (NAC), which can help prevent or reduce liver damage. However, the effectiveness of treatment depends on the severity of the overdose and how quickly medical care is sought.

Is it safe to take calpol with alcohol?

No, it is not safe to take Calpol with alcohol. Both acetaminophen and alcohol can individually stress the liver. Combining them can increase the risk of liver damage, making it important to avoid alcohol while taking Calpol.


Calpol is a widely used medication for pain relief and fever reduction, but it should be used with caution and in accordance with the recommended dosage instructions. Understanding the symptoms and risks of Calpol overdose is essential for ensuring the safety of yourself and your loved ones. If you suspect an overdose, seek immediate medical attention to minimize the potential for severe liver damage and other complications.

See also:

Photo of author


Leave a Comment